Friday, May 28, 2010

Gotta try to Butter-"Milk" it.....

Have you ever bought all the ingredients to a recipe only to find out that you are not in the mood anymore to try it?? Okay...well that is how my ADD brain works sometimes :) Either I change my mind or I have forgotten the recipe I wanted to try completely.....

So what does that leave you to do??? Well often said ingredients end up going bad and smelly if they are the perishable kind in my house...with Kyle usually digging around for something to eat (like any normal healthy teenager does) to feed his bottomless pit, and he'll reach his hand to the back and quite often will pull out a bag of mush (ya, I hate looking at the back of my fridge some weeks).....I don't know what it was...but PLEASE just throw it out now (I am actually making the icky smell face remembering this).

Well I recently came across a stack of recipes I wanted to try using buttermilk...I have never used it in cooking. It always seemed a little risky because it goes bad quickly. Or at least it has the few times I have used it in the past....or I buy to much of it and forget about it and the whole smelly thing starts over again in my fridge. But again, I bought to much of it...I made the ButterMilk Chicken the other night....but ummm now what??? I have half a quart left...so off I went to scour the internet for the perfect blend of recipe that both me and the kids will eat (Stef is not to particular).

So far this is what I have come up with....a Chocolate Bundt Amaretto Cake and these basic but yummy ButterMilk Cookies





I am so so happy that I got to use my recent bought Garage Sale domed cake plate. I am always super happy when I can justify a buy with using it right away...it always a "SEEE" kind of moment :) The ButterMilk Cookies call for chopped walnuts sprinkled on the frosting, but Gavyn truly hates nuts of any kind (apparently peanut butter does not count) so I thought that I probably overdid it with the almonds on the cake...:) But since there is alcohol in that cake he won't touch it anyways...


I have only tried the ButterMilk Cookies....and while they are very good, they definitely need the walnuts for a bit of crunch.....and as for the cake...that will be for tonight....After we watch Iron Man 2. And possibly after I clean up this mess....




anyone else know of some good buttermilk recipes?? I have a little bit left and the due date on the carton is coming up fast....

No comments: